Tuesday Tips | Volume 12 | Your Vermont Wedding Planner

Good Morning!  My name is Randi Nonni and I am addicted to talking about Vermont weather.  Just ask my husband.  If you think it's bad in the winter, well, you have no idea how obsessive I become during wedding season.  There is not a weather app or weather man who is safe from me.  I look at my phone easily every 10 minutes leading up to a ceremony just in case trouble is on the horizon...   But today has nothing to do with weather.  Although, since I know you're probably dying to hear... it's warmish, OK warm may be a stretch, it's not freezing, and the sun is out and the sky is a glorious shade of blue.  I saw a few robins in my front yard too!  We all know what the return of the robin means;  it's means wedding season is fast approaching!  Alright, so back to the topic at hand; who can marry you and what will we do with that license that we talked about last week in How to Make Your Marriage Legal in Vermont

How To Make Your Marriage Legal In Vermont, Continued

There are many people that can legally marry you in the state of Vermont.  You can be married by a justice of the peace or an ordained or licensed member of the clergy, a supreme court justice, a superior court judge, a district judge or an assistant judge.  The ordained clergy member must reside in Vermont or in an a adjoining state if the church, temple mosque or other religious organization lies wholly or partly in Vermont.  In addition to all that we have listed, any person who is at least 18 years of age may register with the Vermont Secretary of State to become a temporary officiant for the day.  There is a fee of $100 associated with becoming a temporary officiant in Vermont.  You will send your fee in along with the necessary application.  Vermont law does not require you have a 'witness' but some religions may so let's talk more about this later.

After the ceremony is over, what do you we do with the license?  Well, for starters, give the license to your officiant before the ceremony.  They must have the license before the ceremony can be performed.  After the ceremony your officiant will fill in all of the needed information and sign the license.  At this point your license becomes a marriage certificate. Your officiant will return the certificate to the town clerk's office where it was issued within 10 days after the wedding.  The town clerk will officially register the marriage.  If your officiant had to register with the Secretary of State as a temporary officiant, a copy of the certificate of authority issued by that office, should be attached to the signed license and returned to the clerk's office.  The certificate is not a legal document until it has been officially recorded by the town clerk's office where it was purchased.  

Does this sound like a lot of detail to keep straight?  Just reach out to me today and I will walk you through it.  Also, it helps to have an experienced, well versed and knowledgable officiant from the state of Vermont to help, such as Annie Alexander-Kramer. She's been performing ceremonies for over 18 years and is a wealth of information.  She's seen it all and I'm positive she would be an asset to your day. 

Let's talk more about your ceremony soon.  Click below to chat with me.

Reach out today